From the railway
• From the stations along the Nordland Line there are buses to the coastal communities of Helgeland
• Long-distance buses run from the railway stations in Fauske and Narvik to Lofoten, Vesterålen, Harstad, Finnsnes and Tromsø, with several departures daily
• From Tromsø there is one bus daily travelling north to Alta
• Distances are large and departures few in Finnmark, with most connections between Alta, Hammerfest, Honningsvåg/Nordkapp and Karasjok. Careful planning is a necessity
• Smaller places throughout Northern Norway have fewer departures, so read the bus timetables carefully. As a rule, local bus routes correspond with the arrival of the Hurtigruten (Norwegian Coastal Voyage) ships or passenger ferries.
• Local buses operate within towns and larger villages in Northern Norway. These run more frequently.